ELAC Committee Members
2013-2014 Committee Members
Rafaela Orozco, President
Robertina Santamaria, Vice President
Berenice Llerenas, Secretary
Angelica Castro, Parlimentarian
When a school site has at least 21 English Learners, it is obligated to have a functioning English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC). Schools are responsible for ensuring that the ELAC has received training materials and training, and have planned in full consultation with committee members in carrying out their legal responsibilities. The committee is comprised of a majority of parents.
The ELAC has a set role to play as defined by State codes. It provides the means by which parents of English learners can become informed and become actively involved in the school, advising the school as it addresses the needs of English learners. This is the goal.
The basic legal requirements for ELAC are:
- Parent members are elected by parents or guardians of English learners
- Election of at least one member of the committee to represent ELAC at DELAC
- Advise, review, and comment on the development of the school’s program for English Learners at the school site, including the expenditure of Title III and EIA funds
- Assist in the development of Needs Assessment Document for English Learners, resulting in a written plan that assesses their needs
- Assist in the development of the Annual Language Census Form (R-30)
- Promote among parents the importance of student regular attendance to school